On the stretcher verso, "76/22 x 27/M70/38-C"
The Second Christian Science Church was situated at 70 Bostwick Avenue NE in Grand Rapids. It was a 1929 Colton & Knecht design. It later served as the First Pilgrim Tabernacle (1939-1959) and then as the Michigan Room of the Grand Rapids Public Library until it was razed for library expansion in1966.
This canvas was listed as "Science Church" on an undated inventory of paintings held by one of Alten's daughters. The list was extant in the 1980s.