On the mount board, "St. Adalbertus" in ink.
Typed on a note on verso, "This painting, St. Adalbert's Church on Fourth St., by Mathias Alten was a favorite possession of Susan Grant Travis. Upon her death it was presented to city club by her sister Miss Elizabeth Grant as a memorial to Mrs.Travis, a charter member of the club."
Construction of St. Adalbert Catholic Church began in 1907 and was completed in 1913. The church was raised to the status of "Basilica" of St. Adalbert on February 16, 1980.