This mural was painted after the Alexander von Wagner (1838-1919) oil, "Chariot Race" circa 1882. The lunette was commissioned along with another lunette, "Gladiators, Lunette Mural" (MIMU1712) by the Jandorf Catering Company of Grand Rapids. It hung for years behind the soda fountain in Jandorf's bakery and candy store in the city. "Chariot Race" is pictured in situ in the Mapes and Travis publication, "Pictorial History of Grand Rapids" noted below.
The identically-sized murals were likely commissioned as a pair.